The NetComm NP805N sold by Internode is an Ethernet and Wi-Fi router. When ordered as part of a new Internode broadband service, it's delivered fully configured - preloaded with your username, password and all Internode specific settings. Hence you can simply follow the cabling setup section below, then test your connection.
If you have purchased your router elsewhere, or if you've performed a factory reset on the device you will need to follow all steps in this guide.
Connection of your router will vary depending on what type of service you have. This guide is designed for configuring Fibre to the Home (FTTH) services; it does however include extra information on configuring alternate types of setups.
Figure 1: NP805N cabling guide
Fibre to the Home cabling
- If you have a Fibre to the Home (FTTH) service, you will have been supplied with some RJ45 Ethernet Cables. Using one of these cables, connect the blue 'WAN' port on the router to the 'DATA' port on your FTTH Wall Outlet.
- Connect another RJ45 Ethernet Cable to one of the yellow 'LAN' ports on the back of the router. Connect the other end of the cable to your computer's network port.
- Connect the included power supply to the back of the router and plug it into a power outlet.
- Switch the router on.
If you wish to use your NP805N with a existing ADSL modem or other WAN device connect the WAN port on the NetComm router to an Ethernet port on your modem.
Although this is an unsupported configuration, if your modem is configured in bridge mode then the rest of this guide is still valid.
If you have ordered this router from Internode, you should now test your connection by attempting to load webpages in your browser.
Logging into the NetComm NP805N
- Open a web browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox or Google Chrome) on the computer connected with the Ethernet Cable.
- Enter the following number into the address bar:
- 192.168.20.1 (this is known as an IP address).
Figure 2: Entering the IP address into the browser
- The NetComm login screen will appear. Enter the router's Username and Password:
- Username: admin
- Password: admin
- Click Login.
Figure 3: Router login screen
Configuring via the web interface
- Log in to the NetComm NP805N as per the instructions above.
- You should be presented with the First time setup wizard. Click Yes, let's get started with the wizard.
- If you are instead presented with the System Status screen, click Toolbox from the top menu and from the drop-down menu select Startup Wizard.
- You should be presented with 'Step 1 of 5' in the wizard.
- From the WAN type drop-down box choose PPP over Ethernet.
- Enter your Internode username into the Username field, e.g., firstname.lastname@example.org.
NOTE: If your username does not include @internode.on.net you will be unable to connect.
- Enter your Internode password into the Password field.
(Lost your password? Click here!)
- Click Next
Figure 4: Step One of the wizard
- You should be presented with 'Step 2 of 5' in the wizard.
- If you want Wireless to be disabled simply ensure Wireless is set to Off, click Next and skip to Step 3
- If you want Wireless to be enabled, ensure Wireless is set to On and continue this Step
- Set SSID Broadcast to Enable to make sure the name of your network is visible
- Create a name for your wireless network and enter this into the field labelled SSID Broadcast Name.
Creating a network name (SSID)
Your network name is used to identify your wireless network. This is particularly useful if there are other wireless networks nearby.
Because your network name will be visible outside of your home or office, the name should be recognisable but should not use any personal or service details.
- Bad Network Names:
BloggsFamily, JoeBloggs, 123JamesStreet, Internode, default, your Internode username, your router's name.
- Good Network Names:
MyNetwork, HomeWireless, Homestead, Cookie Monster (be creative!)
Figure 5: Step Two of the wizard
- You should be presented with 'Step 3 of 5' in the wizard.
- Set the drop down box titled Security Key Type to WPA2.
- Create a password that will be used to access your wireless network. This needs to be entered into the field marked Security Key.
Creating a Pre-shared Key (Wireless Password)
A Pre-shared key prevents people you don't know from accessing your wireless network. When you connect your computers to your wireless network, you will be asked for the pre-shared key. If someone tries to connect without the pre-shared key, they will be unable to connect.
Your pre-shared key:
- must have a minimum of 8 alphanumeric characters
- is case sensitive
- should never be the same as your Internode password
We recommend you create a complex password for your pre-shared key.
Figure 6: Step Three of the wizard
- You should be presented with 'Step 4 of 5' in the wizard.
- You will be asked to configured the Router Security. You will need this username and password in future when you try to log in to your NetComm NP805N router.
Please make a note of your new Administrator Username and Password, as Internode will not be able to provide it to you if it is lost or forgotten.
The password cannot be set to admin using the Wizard setup.
- Enter your chosen password into the Desired Password box and the Retype Password box.
- Click Next
Figure 7: Step Four of the wizard
- You should be presented with 'Step 5 of 5' in the wizard.
- You will be asked to review your settings.
- Click Finish
- The router will now restart, please allow 2-5 minutes before testing your connection.
Figure 8: Step Five of the wizard
If you're looking to also set up another service on your NetComm NP805N router, please refer to our other guides:
If you are having trouble setting up your router or would like to clarify some of the steps, please contact our Support Team.