Email configuration for Android (Samsung)
This guide is suitable for Android (Samsung or Google) phones such as the Galaxy S2 or the Galaxy Nexus. Please note that HTC Android phones have a different user interface.
What we'll cover:
- Configuring an Internode email account on an Android (Samsung or Google) phone.
While email setup is generally standardised across most Android phones, because Android is open-source software, the Mail client on your Android phone may appear completely different to the one shown in this guide.
This guide has been tested on the following Android phones:
- Galaxy Nexus (Android 4.1 Jellybean)
- Samsung Galaxy S2 (Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich)
- Samsung Galaxy S2 (Android 2.3 Gingerbread)
Configuring an Internode email account on an Android phone
- Open your Email application.
- If this is the first time you have used your Mail application, you will be presented with an email setup wizard.
- If this is not the first time you have used your Mail application, select Add Account or Settings > Add New Account from the bottom-right corner of the screen to start the wizard.
- You will be prompted for your email account information.
- In the Email Address field, enter your full Internode email address, for example: email@example.com.
- In the Password field, enter your Internode password.
- Tap Next to continue.
|Figure 1: Entering your email account information|
- You will be asked what kind of email account you are setting up. Select IMAP account from the list.
|Figure 2: Selecting the type of email account|
- The Incoming server settings screen will be displayed.
- In the User name field, enter your Internode username, making sure it does not include "@internode.on.net".
- The Password field should already include your Internode password.
- In the IMAP server field, enter mail.internode.on.net.
- If prompted for a Port, enter 993.
- In the Security Type field, select SSL or SSL/TLS.
- Do not enter any information in the IMAP path prefix field.
- Tap Next to continue when your settings are correct.
|Figure 3: Entering your Incoming server settings|
- The Outgoing server settings screen will be displayed.
- Ensure the SMTP server is mail.internode.on.net.
- From the Security type field, select SSL or SSL/TLS.
- Ensure the Port is set to 465.
- Make sure that Require sign-in is selected (ticked).
- Confirm that your User name is still your Internode username, and does not include "@internode.on.net".
- The Password field should already contain your Internode password.
- Tap Next to continue once your settings are correct.
|Figure 4: Configuring the outgoing server settings|
- The Account Options screen will appear.
- Select how frequently you would like your phone to check for new email using the Email check frequency menu.
- Tap Next once you are happy with your settings.
|Figure 5: Setting email check frequency|
- Give the account a name - a basic description to help you identify this account if you have more than one email address set up on your phone.
- Make sure that Your name is correct - this is displayed on all outgoing messages and is how people see your name when they receive email from you.
- Once your name and account name are correct, click Done to complete set-up.
|Figure 6: Setting an account name and your name|
Congratulations! You have configured your Internode email account on your Samsung/Google Android phone.
If you are having trouble setting up email or would like to clarify some of the steps, please contact our Support Team.