This guide is suitable for Android (Samsung or Google) phones such as the Galaxy S2 or the Galaxy Nexus. Please note that HTC Android phones have a different user interface.
What we'll cover:
- Configuring an Internode email account on an Android (Samsung or Google) phone.
Not what you're looking for? Try the HTC Android guide, the iPhone guide or the Windows Phone 7 guide.
While email setup is generally standardised across most Android phones, because Android is open-source software, the Mail client on your Android phone may appear completely different to the one shown in this guide.
This guide has been tested on the following Android phones:
- Galaxy Nexus (Android 4.1 Jellybean)
- Samsung Galaxy S2 (Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich)
- Samsung Galaxy S2 (Android 2.3 Gingerbread)
Configuring an Internode email account on an Android phone
- Open your Email application.
- If this is the first time you have used your Mail application, you will be presented with an email setup wizard.
- If this is not the first time you have used your Mail application, select Add Account or Settings > Add New Account from the bottom-right corner of the screen to start the wizard.
- You will be prompted for your email account information.
- In the Email Address field, enter your full Internode email address, for example: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In the Password field, enter your Internode password.
- Tap Next to continue.
|Figure 1: Entering your email account information
- You will be asked what kind of email account you are setting up. Select IMAP account from the list.
|Figure 2: Selecting the type of email account
- The Incoming server settings screen will be displayed.
- In the User name field, enter your Internode username, making sure it does not include "@internode.on.net".
- The Password field should already include your Internode password.
- In the IMAP server field, enter mail.internode.on.net.
- If prompted for a Port, enter 993.
- In the Security Type field, select SSL or SSL/TLS.
- Do not enter any information in the IMAP path prefix field.
- Tap Next to continue when your settings are correct.
|Figure 3: Entering your Incoming server settings
- The Outgoing server settings screen will be displayed.
- Ensure the SMTP server is mail.internode.on.net.
- From the Security type field, select SSL or SSL/TLS.
- Ensure the Port is set to 465.
- Make sure that Require sign-in is selected (ticked).
- Confirm that your User name is still your Internode username, and does not include "@internode.on.net".
- The Password field should already contain your Internode password.
- Tap Next to continue once your settings are correct.
|Figure 4: Configuring the outgoing server settings
- The Account Options screen will appear.
- Select how frequently you would like your phone to check for new email using the Email check frequency menu.
- Tap Next once you are happy with your settings.
|Figure 5: Setting email check frequency
- Give the account a name - a basic description to help you identify this account if you have more than one email address set up on your phone.
- Make sure that Your name is correct - this is displayed on all outgoing messages and is how people see your name when they receive email from you.
- Once your name and account name are correct, click Done to complete set-up.
|Figure 6: Setting an account name and your name
Congratulations! You have configured your Internode email account on your Samsung/Google Android phone.
If you are having trouble setting up email or would like to clarify some of the steps, please contact our Support Team.