Wireless Configuration for the MobiiConnect 4G
This guide is suitable for MobiiConnect 4G modems.
What we'll cover:
- Finding your MobiiConnect 4G's default wireless settings
- Connecting to your MobiiConnect 4G's wireless network
- Logging into the MobiiConnect 4G interface
- Securing your wireless network so only people you allow may connect
Not what you're looking for? Try the MobiiConnect NodeMobile Data guide.
Each MobiiConnect 4G has its own default Wireless Network Name (SSID) and Wireless Password (WPA Pre-Shared Key).
These details are printed on a sticker under the back plate of the MobiiConnect 4G. You will need this information to connect your computer to the MobiiConnect 4G's wireless network.
To find your SSID and Wireless Password:
- Locate the thumb notch at the end of the MobiiConnect 4G and lift to remove the cover.
- Locate the sticker (indicated in diagram below) and make a note of the SSID and Password.
- Replace the rear cover.
|Figure 1: The location of the wireless details sticker|
Connect your computer to the MobiiConnect 4G's wireless network. If you are not familiar with connecting to Wireless Networks please refer to the following guides:
- Connecting a Windows computer to a wireless network
- Connecting a Macintosh computer to a wireless network
- Make sure your computer is connected to your modem via the wireless network.
- Open your preferred web browser - for example, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, or Mozilla Firefox.
- Enter the following number into the address bar and then hit Enter on your keyboard:
- 192.168.1.1 (this number is called an IP Address).
|Figure 2: Entering the IP address into the browser|
- The login screen will appear. Enter the default password:
|This is the MobiiConnect 4G's default password.
We recommend that you change the password for security reasons.
- Click Login.
- Click Settings at the top of the screen. This will take you to the Quick Settings wizard.
- Click Next to continue.
|Figure 3: The MobiiConnect 4G Quick Settings wizard|
- Confirm that the Profile Name and APN are both Internode, then click Next. If the Profile Name and APN are not Internode, you will need to complete the Initial Setup for MobiiConnect 4G guide.
- As no changes are required for the PPP Authentication page, click Next again.
- Create a name for your wireless network and enter this into the Network Name (SSID) field.
- Ensure that Broadcast Network Name (SSID) is set to Enable.
- Click Next.
Creating a network name (SSID)
Your network name is used to identify your wireless network. This is particularly useful if there are other wireless networks nearby.
Because your network name will be visible outside of your home or office, the name should be recognisable but should not use any personal or service details.
- Bad Network Names:
BloggsFamily, JoeBloggs, 123JamesStreet, Internode, default, your Internode username, your router's name/model.
- Good Network Names:
MyNetwork, HomeWireless, Homestead, Cookie Monster (be creative!)
|Figure 4: Setting an SSID in the MobiiConnect 4G|
- Create a password that will be used to access your wireless network. This needs to be entered into the Pass Phrase field.
Creating a Pre-shared Key (Wireless Password)
A Pre-shared key prevents people you don't know from accessing your wireless network. When you connect your computers to your wireless network, you will be asked for the pre-shared key. If someone tries to connect without the pre-shared key, they will be unable to connect.
Your pre-shared key:
- must have a minimum of 8 alphanumeric characters (the longer the better)
- is case sensitive
- should never be the same as your Internode password or any password you currently use!
We recommend you create a complex password for your pre-shared key.
|Figure 4: Setting your wireless password in the MobiiConnect 4G|
- Click Next.
- You should be presented with the Configuration page.
- If you are happy with the settings, click Apply.
Congratulations! You have successfully configured your MobiiConnect 4G's wireless network settings.
If you're looking to set up your MobiiConnect 4G, please refer to the following guide:
If you are having trouble setting up your modem, or would like to clarify some of the steps, please contact our Support Team.