Wireless Configuration for NetComm NF2 Routers
This guide is suitable for NetComm NF2 routers. You will also need an Ethernet cable to complete this guide.
What we'll cover:
- Logging into your router
- Turning your router's wireless 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz settings on (or off)
- Securing your wireless network so only people you allow may connect
- Make sure that your computer is connected to your router with an Ethernet cable.
- Open your preferred web browser, for example: Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, or Mozilla Firefox.
- Enter the following number into the address bar and then hit Enter on your keyboard:
- 192.168.20.1 (this number is called an IP Address).
|Figure 1: Entering the IP address to access the router|
- The modem Log In page will open. You will be prompted for a username and password.
|This is the router's default username and password.
We recommend that you change the password for security reasons.
- Click OK to log in to the router.
- Depending on which wireless signal you wish to configure click Wireless 2.4 GHz OR Wireless 5 GHz from the menu to the left of the screen.
- The Wireless Configuration page will be displayed.
- Ensure that Wireless (WiFi) is set to On.
|Figure 2: The NetComm NF2 Wireless Configuration page|
- Create a name for your wireless network and enter this into the field labelled WiFi Network Name.
Creating a network name (SSID)
Your network name is used to identify your wireless network. This is particularly useful if there are other wireless networks nearby.
Because your network name will be visible outside of your home or office, the name should be recognisable but should not use any personal or service details.
- Bad Network Names:
BloggsFamily, JoeBloggs, 123JamesStreet, Internode, default, your Internode username, your router's name/NF2.
- Good Network Names:
MyNetwork, HomeWireless, Homestead, Cookie Monster (be creative!)
- Create a password that will be used to access your wireless network. This needs to be entered in the field labelled Security Key.
Creating a Pre-shared Key (Wireless Password)
A Pre-shared key prevents people you don't know from accessing your wireless network. When you connect your computers to your wireless network, you will be asked for the pre-shared key. If someone tries to connect without the pre-shared key, they will be unable to connect.
Your pre-shared key:
- must have a minimum of 8 alphanumeric characters (the longer the better)
- is case sensitive
- should never be the same as your Internode password or any password you currently use!
We recommend you create a complex password for your pre-shared key.
- Once you have entered a password (pre-shared key), click Save and apply the changes.
Congratulations! You have successfully configured the wireless settings on your NetComm NF2 router.
To connect your computer to the network, please refer to the following guides:
- Connecting a Windows computer to a wireless network
- Connecting a Macintosh computer to a wireless network
If you're looking to also set up another service on your NetComm NF2 router, please refer to our other guides:
- Fibre to the Premises Configuration for NetComm NF2 Routers
- IPv6 Configuration for NetComm NF2 Routers
If you are having trouble setting up your router, or would like to clarify some of the steps, please contact our Support Team.