This guide is suitable for Billion 7800N routers.
What we'll cover:
- connecting cables
- logging into your router
- configuring an ADSL connection manually
Not what you're looking for? Try the wireless guide or the Fetch TV guide.
The Billion 7800N sold by Internode is delivered fully configured: including your ADSL username, password, and all Internode-specific settings. If you've just received your Billion router from Internode, simply follow the first section to complete the cabling setup.
If you would like to confirm the details in your router, have purchased your router elsewhere, or if you've performed a factory reset, you may also need to follow through the rest of the guide.
Billion 7800N Cabling Setup
Connection of your modem will vary depending on whether you have a Standard ADSL or a Naked ADSL service.
Figure 1: Typical connection of a Billion 7800N router for ADSL
- Connect a phone cable from the Line or Wall Socket port on the ADSL splitter to the telephone socket on your wall.
- Connect a phone cable from the ADSL Modem port on the splitter to the DSL port on the back of the Billion router.
NOTE: Ensure that your cable is less than 3 metres long. Long cables can affect the performance of your service.
- Connect your telephone to the Local Phone port on the ADSL splitter.
NOTE: All devices connected to the ADSL line on any socket in the premises also need to be connected to an ADSL filter.
NOTE: If you do not intend to use a phone on the same socket as the router, simply connect the router directly to the telephone socket without incorporating the ADSL splitter.
- Connect one end of the supplied Ethernet cable to the network card on your computer. Connect the other end to one of the Ethernet or LAN ports on the back of the router.
NOTE: Only connect to Ethernet ports 1, 2, 3, or 4. Do not use the EWAN port in this type of setup.
- Connect the power supply to the back of the router, and plug it into your 240v power outlet.
- Switch on the router.
If you purchased your Billion router from Internode, your service should be ready to use. If you intend to use the wireless functions, please refer to the Billion 7800N Wireless Guide.
Logging into the Billion router
- Ensure that your computer is connected to your Billion router with an Ethernet cable.
- Open your preferred web browser, e.g., Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, etc.
- Enter the following number into the address bar and then hit Enteron your keyboard:
- 192.168.1.254 (this is known as an IP Address)
Figure 2: Entering the IP address to access the router
- The modem Log In page will open. You will be prompted for a username and password.
- Click OK to log in to the router.
Configuring your ADSL connection on your Billion 7800N
- Log in to the router as per the instructions above.
- The Billion status page will be displayed. This will show details including the model of your modem, and the current firmware (the software that runs the modem) version.
- Click the WAN link in the menu to the left of the screen.
- Ensure the WAN settings are as follows:
Your modem will be assigned an IP address automatically when it logs in - even if you have a static IP address.
|Obtain DNS Automatically
||Your Internode username, e.g., email@example.com.
If your username does not include @internode.on.net you will be unable to connect.
||Your Internode password
(Lost your password? Click here!)
- Click Apply when you have made your changes.
Figure 3: WAN Port Configuration
- Once settings have been applied, you will need to click Save Config from the bottom of the page.
- The Write settings to FLASH page will display. Click Apply: the modem will save your settings.
Congratulations! You have successfully configured your Billion 7800N for ADSL.
If you're looking to also set up your Wireless or Fetch TV service, please refer to our other guides:
If you are having trouble setting up the modem or would like to clarify some of the steps, please contact our Support Team.