Wireless Configuration for Billion 7800NXL Routers
This guide is suitable for Billion 7800NXL routers. You will also need an Ethernet cable to complete this guide.
What we'll cover:
- Logging into your router
- Turning your router's wireless settings on (or off)
- Securing your wireless network so only people you allow may connect
- Make sure that your computer is connected to your router with an Ethernet cable.
- Open your preferred web browser, for example: Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, or Mozilla Firefox.
- Enter the following number into the address bar and then hit Enter on your keyboard:
- 192.168.1.254 (this number is called an IP Address).
|Figure 1: Entering the IP address to access the router
- The modem Log In page will open. You will be prompted for a username and password.
|This is the router's default username and password.
We recommend that you change the password for security reasons.
- Click OK to log in to the router.
- Click Configuration from the menu to the left of the screen, further options should appear beneath.
- Click Wireless from the menu options that appear underneath Configuration.
- The Wireless Configuration page will be displayed.
|Figure 2: The Billion 7800NXL Wireless Configuration page
- Ensure that Wireless is set to Enable.
- Create a name for your wireless network and enter this into the field labelled SSID.
Creating a network name (SSID)
Your network name is used to identify your wireless network. This is particularly useful if there are other wireless networks nearby.
Because your network name will be visible outside of your home or office, the name should be recognisable but should not use any personal or service details.
- Bad Network Names:
BloggsFamily, JoeBloggs, 123JamesStreet, Internode, default, your Internode username, your router's name/model.
- Good Network Names:
MyNetwork, HomeWireless, Homestead, Cookie Monster (be creative!)
- Once you have entered a network name (SSID), click Apply.
- From the Wireless menu on the left choose the Security option.
|Figure 3: The Billion 7800NXL Wireless Security page
- Set the Network Authentication to WPA2-PSK. Further options will appear underneath.
- Create a password that will be used to access your wireless network. This needs to be entered in the field labelled WPA/WAPI passphrase.
Creating a Pre-shared Key (Wireless Password)
A Pre-shared key prevents people you don't know from accessing your wireless network. When you connect your computers to your wireless network, you will be asked for the pre-shared key. If someone tries to connect without the pre-shared key, they will be unable to connect.
Your pre-shared key:
- must have a minimum of 8 alphanumeric characters (the longer the better)
- is case sensitive
- should never be the same as your Internode password or any password you currently use!
We recommend you create a complex password for your pre-shared key.
- Once you have entered a password (pre-shared key), click Apply.
Congratulations! You have successfully configured the wireless settings on your Billion 7800NXL router.
To connect your computer to the network, please refer to the following guides:
- Connecting a Windows computer to a wireless network
- Connecting a Macintosh computer to a wireless network
If you're looking to also set up your ADSL or Fibre to the Premises service, please refer to our other guides:
- Fibre to the Premises Configuration for Billion 7800NXL Routers
- ADSL Configuration for Billion 7800NXL Routers
- IPv6 configuration guide for Billion 7800NXL Routers
If you are having trouble setting up your router or would like to clarify some of the steps, please contact our Support Team.