Wireless Configuration for Billion 6404VGP, 7402VGP, and 7404VGP-M Routers
This guide is suitable for Billion 6404VGP, 7402VGP, and 7404VGP-M routers. You will also need an Ethernet cable to complete this guide.
What we'll cover:
- Logging into your router
- Turning your router's wireless settings on (or off)
- Securing your wireless network so only people you allow may connect
- Make sure that your computer is connected to your router with an Ethernet cable.
- Open your preferred web browser, for example: Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, or Mozilla Firefox.
- Enter the following number into the address bar and then hit Enter on your keyboard:
- 192.168.1.254 (this number is called an IP Address).
|Figure 1: Entering the IP address to access the router
- The modem Log In page will open. You will be prompted for a username and password.
|This is the router's default username and password.
We recommend that you change the password for security reasons.
- Click OK to log in to the router.
- Click Configuration from the menu to the left of the screen. This will cause more menu options to appear under Configuration.
- From the new menu items, click LAN and further menu options will appear.
- Select Wireless from the menu to open the Wireless configuration page.
- The Wireless Configuration page will be displayed.
- Ensure that WLAN Service is set to Enable.
- Create a name for your wireless network and enter this into the field labelled ESSID.
Creating a network name (SSID)
Your network name is used to identify your wireless network. This is particularly useful if there are other wireless networks nearby.
Because your network name will be visible outside of your home or office, the name should be recognisable but should not use any personal or service details.
- Bad Network Names:
BloggsFamily, JoeBloggs, 123JamesStreet, Internode, default, your Internode username, your router's name/brand.
- Good Network Names:
MyNetwork, HomeWireless, Homestead, Cookie Monster (be creative!)
- Click Apply at the bottom of the screen once you have created a name for your network.
|Figure 2: The Billion Wireless Configuration Page
- Select Wireless Security from the menu to the left of the screen.
- Set the Security Mode to WPA2 Pre-Shared Key. Further options will appear underneath.
- Create a password that will be used to access your wireless network. This needs to be entered next to WPA Shared Key.
Creating a Pre-shared Key (Wireless Password)
A Pre-shared key prevents people you don't know from accessing your wireless network. When you connect your computers to your wireless network, you will be asked for the pre-shared key. If someone tries to connect without the pre-shared key, they will be unable to connect.
Your pre-shared key:
- must have a minimum of 8 alphanumeric characters (the longer the better)
- is case sensitive
- should never be the same as your Internode password - or any password you currently use!
We recommend you create a complex password for your pre-shared key.
- Once you have entered a password (pre-shared key), click Apply.
|Figure 3: Setting wireless security, including a pre-shared key
- To save your wireless network settings, click Save Config at the bottom right of the screen.
- The modem will display the Save Config to FLASH screen.
- Click Apply to save your settings.
|Figure 4: Saving your settings to the Billion router
Congratulations! You have successfully configured the wireless settings on your Billion router.
To connect your computer to the network, please refer to the following guides:
- Connecting a Windows computer to a wireless network
- Connecting a Macintosh computer to a wireless network
If you are looking to set up your Internet or NodePhone service, please refer to the following setup guide:
- ADSL Configuration for Billion 6404VGP, 7402VGP, and 7404VGP-M Routers
- NodePhone Configuration for Billion 6404VGP, 7402VGP, 7404VGP-M Routers
If you are having trouble setting up your router, or would like to clarify some of the steps, please contact our Support Team.